Social Computing and Media

Social Computing and Media is a stage 2 core module in University College Dublin taken by Information and Social Computing students. This blog is my personal E-portfolio where I will be recording my learning and group project activities.

Monday, 2 February 2015

No Social Media for a Day Challenge

Source: http://www.givebackourfreedom.com/

Last week, our lecturer gave the class the challenge to go one whole day without using social media.

I am a scout leader and over the weekend I brought my troop camping in the Wicklow mountains. There is no mobile signal here, let alone an internet connection. I guess you could say I took this challenge to the extreme. I couldn't call or test anyone, and I couldn't access the internet.

We camped Friday night until Sunday afternoon. I had brought my phone with me, even though I knew I wouldn't get signal. I guess I'm attached to the device. I bring it everywhere and use it everyday. For the first day I kept checking my phone to see if I had any messages. I did this out of habit. It was a little irritating not being able to contact anyone, or check up on current events, or even the weather forecast. 
On the second day I kept imagining that my phone vibrated in my pocket with a notification. Of course this wasn't possible without a connection. Once I came home I researched this phenomenon. 

I soon found out that it was extremely common:

Sensing phantom phone vibrations is a strangely common experience. Around 80% of us have imagined a phone vibrating in our pockets when it’s actually completely still. Almost 30% of us have also heard non-existent ringing. Are these hallucinations ominous signs of impending madness caused by digital culture?- Source: mindhacks.com
Phantom vibration syndrome or phantom ringing is the sensation and false belief that one can feel one's mobile phone vibrating or hear it ringing, when in fact the telephone is not doing so. Other terms for this concept include ringxiety, hypovibrochondria and fauxcellarm- Source: Goodman, Brenda (4 May 2006). "I Hear Ringing and There's No One There. I Wonder Why.". The New York Times. p. 1.

This is a very interesting topic, one that I plan on researching further.

In conclusion, the lack of internet and mobile signal made me aware that I am, in a way, addicted to using my phone to socialise. It drove me to imagine my phone was vibrating and notifying me when it never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment